Ardeth Hale has been a continuous member of SUNA since the inception of the American Urological Association Allied (AUAA) in 1972. She has continuously maintained her certification in urologic nursing (CURN), demonstrating her commitment to urologic nursing education and her sense of professionalism.
She has consistently served in various capacities of this association at the national level to include the roles of Secretary 1976-78, Treasurer 1977-1981, President-Elect 1981-82, President 1982-83, and Past President 1983-84. She was re-elected as Treasurer 1984-1995. Ardeth also served in various other positions such as Western Section Representative and Director of Professional Relations, representing SUNA at the table of the National Federation of Specialty Nursing Organizations, later to become the Nursing Organizations Alliance. From 2002-2006, Ardeth served as SUNA historian capturing the accomplishments of the association. In 2006, she began her service as the first chairperson of the newly formed SUNA Foundation fostering the education of urologic nurses through scholarships, research grants and awards.
Ardeth is a role model, inspiration and positive influence for urologic nurses. She exemplifies outstanding leadership qualities demonstrated through her past and present involvement and contributions. She is a mentor to others, enhancing the growth and development of the association as well as the profession of nursing.
This award will honor and recognize a SUNA member who demonstrates exceptional leadership qualities.
- SUNA member in good standing for at least 5 years
- Certification by CBUNA preferred
- Numerous service contributions to SUNA at the local, regional and / or national levels.
- Demonstrates progressive leadership qualities in SUNA and other professional or personal endeavors.
- Strong leadership and mentoring skills.
- Motivates and inspires the people around them to accomplish more than they would normally
- Creates a vision for the future and helps others understand their role in achieving it
- Communicates in a manner which is fair, straightforward and open
- Takes prompt decisive action to resolve issues
- Enthusiasm and passion towards advancing urologic nursing.
- A SUNA member must submit a letter of endorsement to the Board of Directors to include:
- The nominees name, title and current position in urology. The nomination can come from any SUNA member including self-nominees.
- A written description of why the nominee should be considered for the award.
- A current CV or resume of the nominee or an employment history.
- The deadline for receipt of nomination is June 1 of each year.
- The award will be determined by a vote cast by the current SUNA President, President Elect and Immediate Past President and one trustee of the SUNA Foundation Board. If consensus cannot be reached by this system, the SUNA President will determine the recipient. If any of these individuals are nominated for the award, they will refrain from voting.
- The SUNA Foundation will maintain a separate fund for this award to receive on going donations from SUNA Vendors. (These funds will not infringe on regular Vendor donations). The award will be given annually as funds are available. The award will include a check and a recognition certificate and will be awarded at the SUNA Annual Conference. The amount of the check will be determined by the SUNA President according to available funding in this designated account.