Urologic Nursing, the official journal of the Society of Urologic Nurses and Associates (SUNA), presents the latest advances in urologic nursing practice. Written by and for urologic nurses and associates, Urologic Nursing features clinical articles covering a variety of urologic issues and clinical procedures. Patient education techniques, research findings, ethical issues, and current trends in this expanding clinical nursing specialty also are included. Published six times a year.
Highlights from Current Issue ~ January/February 2021
- Implementation of an Electronic Health Record Notification System to Improve Long-Term Management of Pessary Devices
- Antimicrobial Stewardship in Long-Term Care Facilities: Focus on Suspected Urinary Tract Infection
- Estimated Prevalence of Chronic Urinary Retention in Women In the United States
- Rationing Urology Care During a Pandemic: A Primer
Access content from the current issue as well as back issues of the journal in the SUNA Online Library.
Call for Manuscripts for Special Focus Issue on Pre- and Post-Operative Care of Patients
Urologic Nursing is planning a special issue for 2021 that will offer patient and clinician education related to urology procedural care in the office, surgical center, or operating room. There are few evidence-based care guidelines on this topic, so we need your expert opinions.
We are looking for submissions that relate to any aspect of office-based, surgical center, or inpatient urology patient management and teaching. This includes such topics as:
- Patient handouts/written instructions for any procedure (Botox, self-catheterization teaching, bladder instillations).
- Checklists used for patient care.
- Verbal instructions given to the patient.
- Pathways or plans you use for patient care (for example in robotic prostatectomy – catheter removal, antibiotic usage, follow-up schedule).
- Care of suprapubic tube.
- Care of nephrostomy tube.
- Pessary care.
Submissions can also take any form, including a “clinical pearl” or trick that you have learned in your time caring for urology patients.
Please submit manuscripts for consideration by March 15, 2021, to:
Editor, Urologic Nursing
Note: Please include “2021 Special Issue on Patient/Clinician Education” with your cover letter and manuscript.
Online Journal Archive
Urologic Nursing journal articles (2010 to current) are available in SUNA’s Online Library. SUNA members have free access to the journal articles. Nonmembers can access journal content for a fee.
Thank you to the Chicago Metro, Dallas-Fort Worth, and Mississippi Valley Chapters of SUNA for sponsoring the online journal repository for 2019.
Nursing continuing professional development (NCPD) contact hours is available for designated journal articles by completing the contact hour evaluation process in the SUNA Online Library.